Computer Engineering course details | Job and future prospects in Nepal | Colleges in Nepal that conduct BE computer engineering course | Further study options | Abroad study options | Salary scale of computer engineers in Nepal
Computer Engineering is a discipline in engineering studies that includes several fields of electrical engineering and computer science as well which are required to develop computer hardware as well as software in particular. The students learning computer engineering usually have training in electronic engineering, software design and hardware-software integration instead of only software engineering or electronic engineering. The work of computer engineer includes hardware and software aspects of computing from the designing of individual microcontrollers, microprocessors, personal computers and supercomputers to circuit designing. This field of engineering focuses on the individual working to the mass connection between the computer’s inside and out on a larger basis.
Bachelors in computer engineering in Nepal is a four-year bachelor degree programme conducted by different universities like Tribhuwan University and Pokhara University. It is a semester system program and requires students with brilliant science an excellent computing skills to the outcome as an excellent engineer. It is a technical program and requires frequent lab visits to gain skills in the field of computer engineering.
Eligibility to enrol in Bachelor of Computer Engineering course in Nepal:
The students with a passed I.Sc background or HSEB (10+2) with science including maths as either a major subject or as an extra subject or diploma in engineering or any other equivalent from a recognized university with a minimum of 50% in aggregate can apply for the engineering programmes. (Sometimes students awaiting the results may also apply in Pokhara University).
All the students are required to appear the entrance tests conducted by the universities and the admissions are done on the basis of the merit list. International students need not attend the entrance tests because their admission decisions are taken by the board members.
Some Institutes/ colleges conducting the Bachelor in Computer Engineering in Nepal are as follows:
- Institute of Engineering (IOE)
- Himalaya College Of Engineering
- Kantipur Engineering College
- Kathford International College of Engineering and Management
- Kathmandu Engineering College
- National College Of Engineering
- Advanced College of Engineering and Management
- TU Institute of Engineering
- Janakpur Engineering College
- Cosmos College Of Management and Technology
- Everest Engineering & Management College
- National Academy Of Science & Technology
- Nepal College of Information Technology
- Pokhara Engineering College
- Lumbini Engineering College
Objectives of the Computer Engineering course:
- To develop an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering.
- To design and conduct experiments as well as to analyse and interpret data.
- To produce practical engineering professionals in the fields of designing, research, development, testing, and manufacturing.
- To help to progress through an advanced degree or certificate programmes in engineering, business and other professionally related programmes.
- To gain knowledge of mathematics through differential and integral calculus, basic sciences, computer science, and engineering sciences to analyse and design complex systems containing hardware and software components as appropriate to Electrical and Computer Engineering.
Scope of Computer Engineering in Nepal/Abroad:
Computers have become an essential part of human life and it can not be denied with the development in the sector of computers the requirement of computer engineers is also tremendously increasing. Therefore the various areas in which a computer engineer can have possibilities in Nepal as well as abroad are as follows:
- Software programming/ Developing
- Hardware Engineering
- System designing
- System analysing
- Database administrating
Cost to study Bachelor of Computer Engineering:
In Nepal, the cost to study Computer Engineering ranges from 8 lakhs to 10 lakhs in general. However, IOE provides scholarships for engineering course annually. Students after securing the scholarships positions can choose from various branches of Engineering.
International costs US 18,000 $ to 20,000 $ per annum according to the level of study ie. Bachelors , Masters or PhD.
Further Study options after completing BE. Computer Engineering:
There are provisions for Masters in Nepal too at TU for engineering whereas studying abroad for Masters as well as PhD is a preferred activity by most of the Nepalese students. There are several good colleges in the abroad that provide quality education in the field of computer engineering including good practice to attain the practical skills in computer engineering.
Jobs After Completing course:
Studying Computer Engineering provides a wide variety of job opportunities. And with the increasingly fast development in the field of computers, there’s a high demand for Computer Engineers all over the world. The recent researches done shows that this is the most growing field that is requiring a huge number of field professionals. The jobs that a computer engineer can get varies from different software and hardware developing to database administrating and system designing as well as system analyzing.
In Nepal, fresh Engineers earn an average salary in the range of 20000 to 50000. The pay increases with experience and reference. Senior computer engineers are seen earning around 1 lakh Rs monthly in various corporations. There is an increasing demand for good and experiences computer engineers while the supply of amateur and fresher computer Engineers is overtaking the demand for such.
Computer Engineers are among the highest-earning professionals at the international level with an hourly pay up to 50 to 55 $ per hour but the average payments range from 35 to 45 $ per hour. The placement facilities of computer engineers in Nepal are in civil service, Telecom operators, NEA and other major public and private organisations.