Bachelor in Public Health (BPH) is a health education programme of four years at Pokhara University and Tribhuwan University whereas a three-year health educational programme at the Purbanchal University.
The bachelors in public health aims at preparing the specialists in public health profession who will have the technical and managerial competence in solving and managing the health problems as well as look after the awareness in health education and implementation of the rules and regulations regarding the health organizations. The working environment ranges from community to the central level health programmes for public health professionals so professionalism and dynamism as well as communication skills are among the basic requirements for these professionals.
Institutions that conduct Bachelors in Public Health (BPH) program in Nepal:
- Institute of Medicine, IOM (TU),Maharajgunj
- Manmohan Memorial Institute of Health sciences (TU),Kathmandu
- Chitwan School of Medical Sciences (TU), Chitwan
- Nobel College(Pokhara University), Sinamangal, Kathmandu
- National Open College (Pokhara University) Sanepa, Lalitpur
- CSIT College, (Pokhara University) New Baneshwor, Kathmandu
- La Grande International College (Pokhara University) Pokhara
- Purbancahl University.
Eligibility to study BPH in Nepal:
The students who have passed in the intermediate in science with biology or 10+2 in science stream with biology or proficiency Certificate level (PCL science) or Certificate in Health Sciences or equivalent as recognized by the aforementioned universities with at least 50% in aggregate can apply for the bachelor in Public Health programme. To get enrolled into the BPH course in Nepal the students are required to pass the entrance examinations conducted by the universities and the selection is done being based on the merit list.
Objectives of the BPH programme:
- Gain knowledge of human cultures and the physical and natural world as it relates to individual and population health through focused engagement on big questions, both contemporary and enduring.
- gain intellectual and practical skills extensively across the curriculum in the context of progressively more challenging problems, projects, and standard for performance.
- Learn personal and social responsibility anchored through active involvement with diverse communities and real-world challenges.
- Experience integrative and applied learning demonstrated through thew application of knowledge, skills and responsibilities to new settings and complex problems.
Scopes of BPH in Nepal/ abroad:
The completion in BPH opens up a variety of scopes for the BPH graduates in Nepal. The ones after passing BPH in Nepal can work as Public Health Officer in the government sector. They have the opportunities in becoming the Chief Public Health Officer. Not only this there are a lot of organizations that feel the need of these BPH graduates. Several types of governmental organizations or non-governmental organizations like the health agencies. hospitals,schools and institutions etc require these professionals for working with the local community and individuals, working primarily with the school teachers for awareness as well as basic health facilities, administrating health education services and preparing health workers in public health fields.
Apart from these domestic level programmes excellent BPH professionals have got good scopes in the international organizations like World Health Organization (WHO), United Nations Children’s Fund and several other organizations like these.
Cost to study BPH in Nepal:
Domestic cost NA (will be updated soon)
International costs in Australia 28000 Aus $ and around 22000 euros in the European countries for three years bachelor programme.
Further study options after completing the BPH course:
There are several post-graduate programmes in the Public Health programme it includes a master’s degree to a PhD. These programmes are widely prevalent in the abroad countries but some initiations have been taken to start the PhD programme in the domestic country too by Tribhuwan university where there provisions for the master’s degree are already available.
Jobs After completing BPH:
The graduates of Public health get to work in the NGO and governmental organizations like hospitals, schools,health agencies, institutions, social organizations and mostly in the sector of civil service regarding the governmental fields. The governmental posts can be from a public health officer to the Chief public Health officer. Can be a teacher as well after the PhD programme and start teaching in the country’s colleges only.
Remuneration/ Salary scale of BPH graduates in Nepal and Abroad:
The beginners get a minimum salary of 10000 to 25000 or above regarding the qualification and experience and if post graduates can receive salary up to 50000 within the country. And if qualified enough to serve in the abroad the figures in amount get increased,